Monday, February 9, 2009

Lots of Food, Fun and Fortune


Super Bowl Sunday has got to be one of the BEST sporting events of the year! Each year, since I can remember, my family has celebrated this event with our family friends. It's not just a little get together. No . . . We have TONS of food. FOOD has got to be the highlight of this day for me. We are served a full three course meal that includes fondue, little smokies, chips, salad, steak, chicken, potatoes, cookies, rice krispies and lots of candy to munch on.
Well this year was no different. Just because your married, doesn't mean you can't carry on good old traditions. So . . . we met up in Salt Lake with my parents and all of our friends.


While driving up to the party, I told Jeremy, "I hope that Arizona wins. They totally deserve it. They are the underdogs . . . . and it would be like a Cinderella story."
Jeremy responded with, "I do too. It would be like the WORST team in the NFL making it to the top."
We had decided that we were going to cheer for the ARIZONA CARDINALS!

The National Anthem was performed, kick off had happened and before we knew it . . . it was half time. Now you have to know . . . Mel Kester, the hostess of the party, is the BEST party planner. She makes sure that not one detail is overlooked. And this year was no exception. Right before the half time show . . . there were 3 comercials that were shown in 3D. And of course . . . we each had our own pair of glasses on.

Asher was a little confused about what was going on . . . he just thought we were playing peek-a-boo!


The game continued on and I began to get restless and wanted to leave. But then I remembered. Part of our annual tradition involves the opportunity for each person to enter some money into a betting pool for the chance to win money at the end of each quarter. Now this is all a random selection of squares and numbers.

When we first arrived at the party, I asked Jer if he wanted to put any money in the pool for a chance to win. He said, "NO." Well . . . I looked in my purse and I had a $10 bill, so I took it upon myself to enter our money. I chose 2 squares, Jer chose 2 squares and we let Asher choose one.

The Fourth quarter had come, and we hadn't won yet. I was beginning to give up, when all the sudden a DRAMATIC play happened and the STEELERS had possesion of the ball again. Come to find out . . . If the steelers could make the touchdown, then the score would be 27 - 23, and those numbers were where the initials (JS) were . . . that meant Jeremy would win $80 CASH.

We instantly began to start cheering for the PITSBURGH STEELERS!

I know . . . we're traders. But we wanted the money.

If you watched the game, you know then that the game ended with a final score of 27 -23 in favor of the PITSBURGH STEELERS!

Which means . . . Jeremy Spence walked away $80 richer . . . Thanks to my $10 cash . . . Which was really given to me from my Mom! (My mom had given me some cash for Christmas to go on a shopping spree for myself . . . and that was the remainder that I hadn't spent on clothing yet! . . . GOOD INVESTMENT!)

4 comments:

Julie Pia said...

Nice job on your big winnings! How are things? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well.

Kiss Ash for me.

Karen said...

That's really good when you can 8 times your investment! Love Asher in the glasses - bet he didn't keep those on long. I got hungry just reading about all the yummy food!

Jenna and Joe Layne said...

awwww! you guys are sooo cute!

Sarah Hunt said...

I'm happy you found me! You're family is so cute! I love the blogging world for this reason....catching up with old friends!
talk to you soon!