Thursday, April 30, 2009

For the Beauty of the Earth

Last Friday, Mimi suggested that we go to the Tulip Festival.

I had some free tickets to get into the Thanksgiving Point gardens, and it seemed like the PERFECT thing to do on an overcast and nice day!

As you can tell in the picture, the sky was casting a bit of a glare into our eyes . . . therefore, both Asher and my eyes are squinted!

It was absolutely AMAZING to see all the different colors, heights and names of these beautiful flowers. We came upon a field completely covered in yellow and orange tulips and we decided to take Asher's picture in front of them.

We laid Asher's blanket on the grass, set him on top and tried to take a picture of him and the tulips behind him.

The reason I use the word "TRY". . . is because, every time I would say, "Asher, look at Mommy!", he wouldn't look up. He wouldn't respond to Mimi talking to him. And worst yet, he wouldn't look at my cell phone being held in front of his eyes. (Which usually he would reach for it as fast as his little chubby fingers could grasp it!)

But then I realized something . . . He was FASCINATED with the GRASS!
It was his first time to touch and feel GRASS!

Asher seemed to enjoy himself. We even took him over to see the hundreds of fish swimming in the pond and fed them.

He really enjoyed the walk once he was put into my sling!
He loves to be bundled up, squeezed into a tiny pocket and look out at the world.
(It was probably the best investment, other than my amazing stroller, that I bought while pregnant!)

It quickly began to get a little windy and a bit chilly. So we finished our day by walking by the LARGEST man-made waterfall in the WORLD!

All in all . . . my Dutch ancestors would have been proud that we took the time to look at all the different species of the tulip . . . the flower of Holland!

And best of all - We had a GREAT time doing it!

4 comments:

Julie Pia said...

Darling pics! Asher matches the flowers. I'm glad you took pictures. They are gorgeous!

Karen said...

Love Asher in his sunglasses. Bet he loves the feel of grass for the first time. Cant wait to watch him next week.

NAT said...

I love the Tulip Festival. I was able to go last year and had a good time. It's beautiful.

So, I see you're back to being a blonde, again? You're lucky you can pull off any hair color. :) Sometimes I wonder if I would look good as a blonde...probably not.

Esther Noelle said...

Looks like such fun! And he looks adorable in your sling - I totally LOVED my sling and actually that's how I'd get Robby to sleep at church... have you tried that?? It was so good to talk to you at church - Rob said he could see us talking during the meeting, he he! :) Thanks for your comment and for your kind words!